Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Gerald Heyward

  1. #1
    Daniel LeClaire
    Guest Daniel LeClaire's Avatar

    Post

    So, I was on Vic Firth's website watching some of the videos when I came across Gerald Heyward's name. Pretty cool stuff.

    Gerald Heyward

    Does anyone have anything he plays on? I can't seem to find much about him.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 26, 2004 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Daniel LeClaire ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Great player, though I've only heard him on one gospel album and saw him on tv live with blackstreet.

    Check these links:

    http://ubl.artistdirect.com/music/ar...Gerald+Heyward

    http://ubl.artistdirect.com/music/ar...615251,00.html

  3. #3
    Inactive Member funkydrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2004
    Posts
    203
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That video is pretty sweet. Gerald is a great player, has some blazin' chops, and has one hell of a pocket. The makings of a monster drummer IMO.

  4. #4
    Daniel LeClaire
    Guest Daniel LeClaire's Avatar

    Post

    Originally posted by Mathias Sarsgaard:
    I don't like his style. Very borring.

    And damn, those DW drums sound bad. [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks, that added a lot to the discussion. [img]graemlins/whatever.gif[/img]

    I don't see how you can say you don't like someone's playing when all you've seen is a one minute promo.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Shawn40's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2004
    Posts
    628
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Guys,
    Geralg is great, I like this drummer who is a little bit the boss of this kind of drumming (Rn'b, Soul, Gospel, Rap...).

    He's on tour with Mary J. Blige and I think that he's MD of the band.
    If you can see her on stage, you cannot be disapointed by her and by Gerald who play like a bad mothef...

    I know that all the young "Rn'b, Soul, Gospel, Rap" cats like Erik Tribbet and co are playing in the Gerald's druming way and are crazy about him as drummer and human being...

    Cool video-clip anyway !!!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Mathias Sarsgaard's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 4th, 2004
    Posts
    42
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't like his style. Very borring.

    And damn, those DW drums sound bad. [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Mathias is entitled to his opinion. From the clip GH uses some interesting moves and techniques that may seem gimmicky to some.

    I think the reason those DW drums sound "bad" may have nothing to do witht he drums themselves but that it's recorded through a camcorder mike and those are pretty insensitive to low frequencies. It's a bit like listening through a laptop computer's speakers.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Derek DeFields's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2001
    Posts
    1,144
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think Gerald is a great player. Sounds killer on those clips IMO.

  9. #9
    Daniel LeClaire
    Guest Daniel LeClaire's Avatar

    Post

    Originally posted by Vdrummer:
    Mathias is entitled to his opinion. From the clip GH uses some interesting moves and techniques that may seem gimmicky to some.

    I think the reason those DW drums sound "bad" may have nothing to do witht he drums themselves but that it's recorded through a camcorder mike and those are pretty insensitive to low frequencies. It's a bit like listening through a laptop computer's speakers.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think the techniques are supposed to be "gimmicky." I mean, the clips were made for Vic Firth to show off more or less.

    I agree about the drum sound. It's most likely the room and the equipment used.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •